Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fun Run...But Not So Fun!

It was my 2nd time participating in the McDonald's Olympic Day Run and I'm still having muscle pain today...this is what happens to those who never seldom exercise. It was kinda tormenting to run the 7km trail ok (well, actually I was running and walking and walking and walking) but I finished within an hour *pats back*.


However, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time and was really dissapointed with the whole event last Sunday. There were many many disgruntled runners as well and I'm one of them.

Some of the things I hope would be diferent next year...

1) Goodie Bags - I don't get the point of using a "green" plastic bag to hold few packs of chewing gum and a mini soap. Don't y'all think its not environmental friendly at all and it's a waste of $$$. Could have just put it with the certificate since everyone's getting it anyway!
2) Redemption of goodie bag is horrible. The staff were RUDE (my friend said she almost wanted to strangle him). Many people lost patient queuing as the staff were seen packing only there and then. Imaigine sweating and queuing under the hot sun. And what happen to ID the runners via the red/pink/yellow ribbon/strand/band given to us? Another waste of $$$ if it serves no purpose right?!?!
3) Drinks (Milo/Ribena/Water) - where's the isotonic drink? and obviously problem with queuing again, should have a barrier or q-stand to avoid the havoc.
4) Drink Station - There's only 1 drink station and they only start pouring the water into the mini paper cups when the runners reached!!! Some people could have died of exhaustion, like my friends, who did not get any water as it was already finished. The organiser prolly think that the runners have camel-like functions storing water in the body but unfortunately our 10,000 or 11,000 runners are normal human being. I was lucky to have grab a bottle of water, imagine my relief ... *phew*
p/s: They could have 2 to 3 stations if they saved on the goodie/plastic bags. Anyway, it's given by sponsors right?!
5) Mobile Toilet - none in sight and my friend practically ran into frantic searching one and end up queuing for more than 20 minutes. First, the organiser thought we could store water and then thinks we don't need to let "go"... -.-"
6) Garbage Bag - I think there's less than 30 bags laying around the field and then you see mountain of paper cups being thrown away. I guess the organiser have not see this coming, 10,000 runners => 50,000 cups and basically needs more garbage bags. Prolly also because we're supposed to store water so we don't need to drink that much.
7) Emcees - I guess they were used to talking to kindergarten children and were surprised that the runners don't understand their instructions. Well, you know not everyone arrives on the spot, and people could missed what you have said 1 minute earlier...and what's wrong with repeating, it's your responsibilities right? By the way, there's no warm up exercise before that although they did mentioned about it and we were waiting and waiting until they asked us to surrender our "report card" and get a ribbon/strand/band and get into the "kandang". I'm guessing they were some headmaster or headmistress of a school :p
8) Certificate - Should just remove this clause (No.5) in the forms and Rules & Regulations as anyone is seen to be given the cert, whether those who finished after the timing or to those who were just passerby.
Sijil akan diberikan kepada peserta yang menamatkan larian dalam
masa kelayakan seperti dicatat di Carta Hadiah.
Certificates will be issued to all participants who complete the
run within the qualifying time as indicated in the Prize Chart.

9) Tent/Shield - we're not expecting the whole place to be under a tent but at least on stage and prolly a few in front of the stage. You don't expect everyone to stay back just to watch the prize giving (which takes too damn long by the way) under the BLAZING SUN right? I pity those winners who actually waited (I think more than 2 hours) and to those who waited for the lucky draw (which were announced only when 70% of the runners went back).
10) Ronald - He looks so "out" and "plump" and "short". Since it's Mcdonald's mascot, I thought they will get someone alike (talk about branding and croporate image) and it's not like they are paying thousands for that. They prolly got some internal staff or someone from their management level...haha
11) It was said that there are gonna be lots of games and activities, but I definitely don't see any, unless I was blinded by the glaring sun.


Mcdonald's a great company and has built relatively healthy and strong branding over the years, one can only wonder why this even happen. All the best and if any of the McD team/staff/management actually read this post, I hope to see improvements next year. All in all, last year was a better experience, at least for me :)

P/S: At least, they did take safety measures and I think there's enough of policemen and medical staff on standby. This, I salute to the organiser =D
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. i agree with what you said and i was also running this year. is my first time but i not happy and the goodie bags is poor

    ReplyDelete
  2. to be honest, the goodie bag was better last yr but we cant ask much for Rm10 fees rite

    ReplyDelete